Super Mom Is Dead

She's a myth. Move on. Be happy.

Name:

Who are these people and why are they asking for clean socks?

Friday, June 17, 2005

Love Letters to My Husband

My 6 year old is constantly leaving little notes around our house. Some are meant for us to see and others are just the insane ramblings of an evil genius. He also has this weird (and somewhat annoying) habit of writing his questions down on paper, thrusting them in my face and staring at me, expressionless, until I respond. Yeah, I guess it's cute in a wow-my-kid-is-creepy kind of way, but sometimes I wish he'd just spit it the hell out.

So, while I was picking up assorted pieces of paper and grumbling to myself, I started to question where he picked up this annoying habit. It suddenly occurred to me that - yet again - mom was to blame. I have about 40 bazillion little post it notes with instructions, dates, grocery lists, to-do lists, etc stashed all over the freaking place. I used to leave to-do lists on the fridge for my husband and I'd get incredibly irritated when they'd still be there months later, with nothing scratched off. We talked about his inability to actually read something written out by hand and determined that he was no longer capable of reading anything that wasn't in some type of electronic format. So, I started emailing him things to do.

My husband is a computer guy. His business partners are computer guys. His entire business *is* computers and every bit of communication is saved in a ridiculously large email file system, including the nastiest of spam. So, the little "Don't forget to call the dentist!" messages would get dumped into his "Nagging from the Wife" folder and were quickly forgotten. The email solution was not achieving the desired effect.

That brings us to the wonderful world of IM. In an instant, I can remind him of all the stupid little things he's supposed to do during the course of a day. I'm sure he views this as quite the mixed blessing! The sad part of this whole set up is that we are always in the same building! The office he works from 99.9% of the time is in our basement. You'd think such things could be communicated as we passed each other at the coffee pot. Nope. A good bit of our communication takes place courtesy of IM software. It's the most efficient and reliable method of delivering reminders, requests and "What do you want for dinner?" and lets me send him links to interesting articles I've read while I was supposed to be feeding our children.

So, I guess it's no wonder my 6 year old is writing us messages. The poor kid needs a laptop!

1 Comments:

Blogger christa said...

I'm not sure if you heard about one of the more interesting parts of the story regarding that woman who hit her husband while he was snoring. He went back to sleep AFTER she stabbed him with the pen 3x; hence, why she had to hit him with the weights.

6/19/2005 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >