Super Mom Is Dead

She's a myth. Move on. Be happy.

Name:

Who are these people and why are they asking for clean socks?

Monday, September 05, 2005

It's Like Wrestling An Octopus

...or maybe a bear.

My boys seem to have a knack for injuring themselves on holiday weekends. I think they like going to the hospital or something. I typically find myself wondering if I'm crossing over into "Bad Mom" territory when I start to weigh the options of waiting for office hours, rather than shelling out the $100 copay. (Not to mention that Emergency Rooms are for EMERGENCIES thing!) But, guilt generally sets in pretty quickly and I end up taking them to the hospital. It's one thing to play the odds for myself or my husband - a completely different thing when it's my boys.

Still, $100 is an expensive bottle of eye drops. At least the 3 year old has vowed to never play with a stick again. (Watch me hold my breath on that declaration!)

The real fun has been trying to reason with J about the eye drops. I'm certain I'll be opening the door to the authorities quite soon, considering the level of blood-curdling shrieks that are pouring from my house four times per day. To say it takes the whole family is no exaggeration. DH holds his little head and arms still, P holds his legs (as well as he can - the little booger is strong!) and I have the job of trying to keep him from thrashing about while I try to pry open his eyes and squeeze in 2 drops. It's absolutely horrible - I'm certain we've traumatized the kid, but he's not up for bargaining.

Our other struggle has been on the hygiene front with J. We've had many conversations about keeping clean and how to wash certain parts (which I won't go into for Google's sake). It's funny how a boy can be so near OCD in the hand washing department, yet completely oblivious to the fact that he should probably give himself a thorough scrubbing in other places, too. Since he's potty-trained now (Yay, hooray!) we've moved him over to flushable wipes. We bought him the Pampers Kandoo stuff (wipes and foaming hand soap) because he wanted them.(Hey - whatever it takes to get him interested in cleanliness.) Well, now he's in the bathroom with this foaming soap washing his hands every 3 minutes - complete with water all over the bathroom and a week's worth of soap. So, I hid the soap. A few minutes later, he runs at me, very upset, asking, "Mom... where's my mashed up frog?"

Few things bring more shivers to my spine than the thought of accidentally finding a MASHED UP FROG!?!? Immediately freaking out, I start with the 'where did you get the frog and why is it in the house?' line of questioning. J is completely irritated with my stupidity at this point and says, "You bought it for me!"

I can be forgetful, but I'm certain I've never purchased a mashed up frog.

J: "The mashed up frog that I put on my hands from the green and purple bottle."

Aha! The Kandoo stuff has a little cartoon frog on it! I tried to explain to him that it's soap and not a mashed up frog, but he didn't believe it. Of course, this explains why he will spend so much time squishing this stuff through his fingers. He's not working on hygiene - he's playing with frog guts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >