Super Mom Is Dead

She's a myth. Move on. Be happy.

Name:

Who are these people and why are they asking for clean socks?

Monday, July 11, 2005

Some Break

What did I really expect?

I had the chance to go away overnight with some friends - so I jumped at the chance, of course. My husband graciously agreed to take off on a Friday and do the solo thing through bedtime on Saturday. I will admit that he did a pretty good job as "Dad" - at least from what the boys have told me. At least there were no major injuries or fires. (The 6 year old made sure that his Dad stayed away from the toaster oven after a very scary flaming tortilla incident a few weeks back.)

I was trying my best to be thankful for the time off - and not resort to that whole bitch-thing. This is no small task - turning over a new leaf does not come naturally, you know. Now, hubby is seriously lacking on the cleaning and organization front. I know this. I take steps to minimize the chaos as much as possible. Before I left, I made sure that every single dish, spoon, glass, etc was not only clean, but dried and put away. The dishwasher and sink were both completely empty. I was only going to be gone for 36 hours, so everything should have fit into the sink and dishwasher pretty easily - especially since most of the food was pre-made and required only a microwave. I gave him a detailed list of menu suggestions (he has *no* idea what to actually feed the children). I even called several times to make sure everything was ok and reminded him to pick things up so I didn't have to walk into a mess.

I can only imagine what the original mess looked like. I walked into what he insisted was clean and just couldn't believe it. I'm still working on getting things back on track. Ridiculous shit. I don't know who taught him how to assemble the food processor, but it's going to take me forever to soak off the dried-on shredded cheese that sat on the counter for 2 days.

Let me assure you, my dear husband. I am pissed that I will have to spend double time cleaning up after you, but I'm not going to give up on the idea that I can escape from time to time. I suggest you learn how to pick up after yourself -- or next time -- my trip will be much longer!!

3 Comments:

Blogger christa said...

I really do think that a husband's apparent ineptitude in a certain area is because he is actually an evil genius. They pretend not to know how to clean in order to have someone else do it for them. My father, who has more degrees than I can count, still cannot put a prepared casserole in an oven at a certain temperature without a detailed note from my mother.

7/13/2005 10:19 PM  
Blogger Sheri & SuZan said...

LOL...Oh I agree! My husband got himself banned from the kitchen before we got married.....after 18 years, I'm sure he planned that!

7/17/2005 11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The men in my husband's family are completely inept when it comes to cooking and cleaning. Our two boys, however, will be little Mr. Mom's, I swear!

7/18/2005 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

< ? Blogging Mommies # >